Our guiding principle is one of Inclusion. We want to identify and break down all possible barriers to learning so that all pupils whatever their physical or learning needs, can achieve their full potential.
In making provision for pupils with SEN we aim to:
- Value all the pupils in our school equally;
- Ensure that all pupils have equal access to a broad, balanced curriculum which is differentiated to meet individual needs and abilities;
- Ensure that the education experience for pupils with difficulties and disabilities is the same as that for all other pupils;
- Acknowledge and draw on parental knowledge and expertise in relation to their child;
- Make it the responsibility of all teachers to identify and meet the SEN of pupils;
- Recognise that every child is entitled to have his or her particular needs identified and addressed;
- Offer high quality support to ensure that all needs are met;
- Maximise the opportunities for students with special educational needs to join in with all the activities of the school, offering opportunities for all pupils to experience success;
- Give consideration to SEN across all curriculum areas and in all aspects of teaching and learning;
- Seek the views of the child and take them into account;
- Fully involve parents in their child’s education.
Pupils with SEN are admitted to the school on the same basis as any other child as long as the school has the necessary resources to meet the special educational needs of the pupil (see admissions section for details).
If you have any questions or want to chat with someone about how Airedale Academy supports students with SEN, please contact our SENCo Philippa Lowe on 01977 664555.
For details of the local offer for Wakefield, click here
Copies of our SEND policies can be downloaded from the policies page